Wednesday, September 26, 2007


There's something about the band Dog Day that I can't quite put my finger on. The sound is very familiar, kind of an early 90s indie rock and alternative (Lemondheads, Smudge, if Pavement was power pop), and also a bit like the first Treble Charger. The lyrics are good, the songwriting is also good, but nothing on this stands out to me as being amazing and for some reason I love it. I can't stop listening to it,I've listened to the album Night Group nearly everyday for the past month and I am in no way sick of it. So what is it that I find so appealing? I can't say, but I do find them very appealing. I, as well, am heavy into their back story, though I don't know much I do know this: At least two of them are from Cape Breton and are recently married, they reside in Halifax, the album was possibly recorded and mixed in Germany, and they are on Tomlab outside of Canada, and on a label I've never heard of(Black Mountain), and
I bought their album for $12 at Chapters in Edmonton. I also may have seen one of them while in Halifax seeing Special Noise and Play Guitar (label mates I just learned thanks to the www) in Halifax this summer.
The opening track on the album Night Group, Lydia, is a standout for me and not just because I love short songs. The song hits with a suddenness and energy that makes me excited each time I hear it. The introduction to the song is good in the way that it gives no preparation for what is about to come: a noisy, high energy, wonderfully melodic minute and a half that leaves you satisfied but at the same time eager for more. It's nearly a perfect opener as it introduces the best parts of their sound from fuzzy bass to bored, beautiful, catchy vocal lines. The album continues like this, slowing down slightly on songs, cranking up the pop on others, all the while remaining accessible but interesting. The vocals are mostly male with back-ups being female, which makes for a nice mix as the two vocals are quite similar. Perhaps the vocals are what I enjoy so much; they're at least a large part of my enjoyment. Full of a kind of ennui but still catchy with familiar melodies that you could never place (you know that kind of song, it happens sometimes with Joanna Newsom's first album, where you swear you've heard the hook before but it's un-placeable) and stick in your head for days.
The next song I'd like to discuss, Sleeping, Waiting, evinces the height of pop that Dog Day can reach, as well as the height of early 90s that they can reach. It's quite similar to Lydia, so maybe I should post another song to show their range, but this song has really caught my attention recently and has become my new fave. It's a like a more bored and less lame version of Winnipeg's The Salteens, but the bubble gum is replaced with Vanilla Skoal chewing tobacco, still sweet but there's something more mature and sinister about it. It's also a bit of a love song without being too over-the-top, and that's a sweet spot for me.
Here They Be:
LYDIA
SLEEPING, WAITING

Hope y'all like it as much as I do, though I doubt anyone could like it as much as their number one superfan. Also, coming soon will be songs from my brother's and my new band which is yet entitled, possibly to be called Deanes, Deane Brothers, or Phil's suggestion is Operation Hot Brother.

3 Comments:

Blogger MikeLong said...

Dog Day: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=8581921

8:39 PM  
Blogger Matt White said...

Mike, I think how you feel about Dog Day is how I feel about the Lemonheads. There's really nothing special to them, nothing that sets them apart from countless other 90s alternative bands, they just write really great catchy pop songs. And really, what else are you asking for?

5:28 PM  
Blogger Matt White said...

And by Mike I mean MTD...

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home