Thursday, November 09, 2006

One might find it suspicious -- or at least curious -- that after two Barry Black LPs and a handful of Crooked Fingers releases, Eric Bachmann has finally released a record under his own name.



But then, unlike much of his earlier post-Archers of Loaf work, To The Races is defiantly stark, and hardly collaborative -- a marked difference from the guest-laden love-ins that have defined the past seven years of his career. It sounds as though Bachmann was searching for Nebraska here, and for better or worse, he seems to have found his way; not to say, necessarily, that he's been freed from his increasingly familiar holding pattern and all of its idiosyncracies, but it's clear that he's spent more time focusing on the little things, which as you'll hear, make all the difference this time around.

Eric Bachmann - "Lonesome Warrior"

And why not: Crooked Fingers - "A Little Bleeding" (from Ductape Radio, March 2000)

Zach

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That video is quite nice. Like the early films of Bruce Baillie, if anyone knows him. If you get the chance, check it out.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this new Bachmann song, and I haven't really gone for anything since the first Crooked Fingers album (which I think is near perfect...except for that She Spread Her Legs and Flew Away song, which is just kinda silly I think).

And the Ductape radio thing is great. I forgot he did that appearance there, that's so rad.

Liking both of these a lot.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally think it's strange that he's decided to use his real name now. And thanks for the radio clip, I was there. It makes me feel like I don't really have to tell my roommate that my friend took a dump in the toilet and my landlord shut off the water.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH, and I like that guys movies. Castro Street is pretty sweet. I like Bruce Connor too...not that they're related really...

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home